Masquerade ULTRA DELUXE
Have a great costume or performance you want to show off? Then sign up for the Crunchyroll Expo Masquerade ULTRA DELUXE where you can compete with other cosplayers and performers in front of your fellow fans for awesome prizes! Whether you have an elaborate skit or just want to walk on stage, we want to showcase your creativity!
Wait, I know what a Masquerade is, but what’s with ULTRA DELUXE?
The Masquerade is a time-honored convention tradition, but we think things can be made more exciting for both the cosplayers participating and the audience! After all our Masquerade entries have performed, a series of ULTRA DELUXE Challenges will be presented by special judges and Crunchyroll-Hime herself. These challenges will celebrate what it means to be a fan of anime, manga, and Japanese pop culture, and players will be selected from both the Masquerade’s participants and the audience – with a prize awarded for each!
So I can be a part of this even though I don’t have a costume?
Yep! No cosplay is needed for any of the ULTRA DELUXE Challenges! If you’ve never done it before, performing in front of a crowd of excited anime fans can be one of the best memories you take away from a con, so this is a way to give you a taste and, who knows, maybe it’ll encourage you to get in costume and compete fully in the future!
If I’m already in the Masquerade, will this affect whether I win or not?
Nope! The ULTRA DELUXE Challenges are separate from the Masquerade with their own prizes. So if you’re already competing, think of this as a bonus round to potentially win MORE prizes!
What kind of challenges are we talking about?
We can’t give away them all because part of the fun is the surprise, but some examples include:
- Popular Anime Trivia
- Re-enacting Classic Anime Tropes
I’m in the Masquerade, but this ULTRA DELUXE stuff doesn’t sound like my thing, do I have to do it if I’m picked?
Entering these challenges are entirely optional, so if you want to stick to only your walk-on or performance, that is definitely OK!
Great, how do I sign up?
To sign up for the Masquerade, please send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Which character and series are you cosplaying from?
- Skit or Walk-On?
- Will you be participating for Craftsmanship Awards? (Yes/No)
- Do you want to participate in ULTRA DELUXE Challenges? (Yes/No)
- Have you won any Masquerade awards before?
- Attach any music track or skit track and description to the email.
Where and when is the Masquerade ULTRA DELUXE?
The Masquerade ULTRA DELUXE is Saturday, August 26 on our Main Stage. The Masquerade is Saturday night, with Check-In and Craftsmanship Judging earlier on that Saturday. Exact times coming soon!
Is there a deadline?
Yes, please sign up by August 21! We’ll be back to you by August 23 if we’re able to welcome you into the first ever Masquerade ULTRA DELUXE!
Do I need to pre-register?
You’ve got your best shot at participating if you pre-register, but if you don’t know yet if you can compete, we’ll have limited onsite registration on both Friday and Saturday, with exact times coming soon. But if you want your best chance at getting on stage, email us by August 21!
COMPLETE MASQUERADE RULES
- 2 minutes and 30 seconds maximum time for skits.
- 30 Seconds maximum for walk-ons.
- If you would like to provide a soundtrack for your performance it must be .mp3 format. You can send this file with your e-mail entry. You can also bring a copy of it on a CD-R or a thumb drive in person. CDs won’t be returned, please label your thumb drive so it can be returned to you properly.
- Everyone who is accepted into the Masquerade will receive a number. This will be your entry number. You’ll need it for when you sign-in onsite.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must have a parent or guardian sign a liability form with our cosplay staff.
- Performance Only participation is for those who didn’t make their outfits and want to compete. You will be eligible for Performance Awards but not for any Craftsmanship Awards. You will be exempt from appearing at any pre-judging time slots; however, you must still check-in at a designated time before the show.
- Craftsmanship participation is for cosplayers whose outfits are 60% modified or handmade. Craftsmanship pre-judging will be held during the day on Saturday. Your costume must be pre-judged to be qualified for Craftsmanship Awards.
- All contestants MUST do a final check-in before the event begins at our Main Stage. If you miss this final check-in you’ll be disqualified.
GENERAL STAGE RULES
- Don’t jump off the stage. Audience are also not allowed to run up to the stage for any reason.
- No projectiles to be thrown off stage. Don’t throw anything from the stage.
- There are no adult related content allowed on stage. Keep all skits and performances respectful and appropriate for general audiences.
- All props, setups, and scenery must be taken down after your performance. Do not leave any items behind that can hinder the contestants after you.